Written by Helen Schultheis - aka @dressedbyhelen
Your wedding day will happen in the blink of an eye so take full advantage of your “getting ready” hours with your nearest and dearest. Now is the time to give and receive gifts, listen to the wise words of your elders, breathe deeply, and bask in that pre-wedding glow. Here are five ways to make these moments meaningful and memorable:
1. Bridesmaids/ Girl Gang gifts: Your babes have been there for you from the beginning, swooning over your ring, planning your bachelorette and shopping for your wedding dress. Show them your gratitude by giving them a unique and heartfelt gift. They’ll feel loved and appreciated while you happily wipe away a tear or two.
2. Good luck charms: If you adhere to the American tradition “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue” prepare for family members to gift you with an heirloom. In other countries around the world there are rituals and traditions involving ribbons, henna, rice, veils, and even liquor to wish the bride well— you never know, your family just might
3. A family moment: Gather your female relatives and hold hands while your mother or grandma says a special blessing or meditation. Let this womanly energy inspire and ground you before stepping into your wedding dress.
4. Just breathe: If you feel stress and anxiety starting to invade, try the ancient “4-7-8” breathing technique. These three phases of inhalation, retention and exhalation will provide your mind and body a peaceful moment.
5. Cheers to you: Having a small glass of champagne or prosecco before the ceremony starts will take the edge off without making your head spin. Mix your desired sparkling with fresh squeezed OJ or colorful berries for extra pizzazz— and don’t forget to get your photographer to capture the moment!